This site is a preview of the curriculum for our Summer 2018 bootcamp in Burlington, Vermont. As we continue our preparation, courses and lessons will appear and disappear; we will rename, rearrange, clarify, and obfuscate as needed... Please consider this a work in progress and keep checking in.
You may have never programmed before. Now you will.
What is code?
In general, code is something that stands for something else.
In computers, code is a series of instructions that tell a computer what to do.
What is coding?
- coding (aka programming or software development) is a human activity
- it's called code because what we write is not what the computer reads
- to a computer, it's all ones and zeros; to us, it's words (and numerals and punctuation)
What is coding NOT?
- coding is not mathematical
- some logic
- mostly just counting
- coding is not solitary
- most coding happens in a team
- pair programming is awesome
- coding is not about finding the right answer
- there's always more than one way to do it
- every solution has tradeoffs
- there is always a better way, and never a perfect way
- "The only perfect program is an empty file." - Alex
What is coding?
- coding is fun!
- coding is frustrating!
- coding is creative!
- coding is communication
- between you and a computer
- between you and other coders
- between you and future you
A Program Is Like A Recipe
- a recipe is a collection of ingredients and instructions
- a program is a collection of data and code
When you are writing code, you are not baking cookies, you are writing a recipe for how to make cookies.
(recipe from popcornpottery.com)
- every program is written in a LANGUAGE
- like Java or Python or C or Fortran
- even HTML and CSS and SQL are languages
- every computer language has a silly name
- computer languages are very specific compared to natural languages
- different languages are useful in different areas, but there is a lot of overlap
Errors Are Awesome
- Don't be afraid of errors
- Your computer is trying to help you fix your program
- It's just really bad at communicating
If your code is a two-year-old child, then an error is a temper tantrum.
(It can take effort to figure out the underlying reason why they're upset and fix it.)
- It's not all gibberish
- Try to read it -- really try! -- and pull out the pearls from the pig slop
See also: What went wrong? from MDN
What will we learn today?
In this class, you will learn about:
- The command line and why we use it
- Strings, Arrays, Variables, Objects, Loops, Files
- How to run your code interactively or from a file
- How to make a very simple website run on your own computer
Follow along online! Put a browser pointed at this site on one side of your screen, and Terminal on the other.
What if I know some of this already?
- Pair up
- Help your partner, help your neighbor
- Promote yourself to TA
The best way to learn is to teach.
- Latin proverb
a text editor
- VS Code from Microsoft https://code.visualstudio.com
- Note: Microsoft Word is not a text editor
- a live node.js installation
- visit https://nodejs.org/ for more instructions
- version 9.2 is preferred, others are probably fine too
node -vin terminal to check
Please stop right now and check
- If you do not have these, RAISE YOUR HAND